The Western Pennsylvania District Export Council is an organization of business leaders from communities throughout Western Pennsylvania, appointed by various U.S. Secretaries of Commerce, whose knowledge of and expertise in international business provides a source of professional advice for local firms.
Western PA DEC members volunteer their time and specialized expertise to assist small and medium-sized businesses in Western PA to establish or increase export sales. This serves to promote economic growth in Pennsylvanian companies while also creating new and higher-paying jobs for their communities. DEC members also sponsor and participate in numerous trade promotion activities, as well as advocate for effective trade policy positions.
Lastly, the Western PA District Export Council plays a major role in the planning and coordination of export activities as the Council facilitates the development of an effective export assistance network and assists in coordinating the activities of trade assistance partners to leverage available resources. The Western PA District Export Council ultimately serves as a link between its business communities and the U.S. Department of Commerce.
The Western PA District Export Council carries out activities such as:
- Counseling & mentoring of local businesses in exporting
- Identifying export financing sources for business
- Creating greater export awareness in the business community locally
- Identifying issues affecting export trade and implementation of suggestions for improvement
- Advocating trade policy & legislation supporting exporters and the U.S. export sector
- Supporting programs, services and efforts of the U.S. Commercial Service